Sweet Potato & Ground Beef Skillet
Cooking with a cast iron skillet is so under-rated in my opinion! Between Instapots, slow cookers, and Kitchen Aids, you’re probably rolling your eyes at another kitchen gadget to invest in. Slow the eye roll and trust me when I say – just get the dang cast iron skillet! 😉 It not only makes cooking a lot faster, but they function as a traditional skillet on the stove and are even oven-safe! It’s great for just about anything you’d normally bake or sauté – in today’s post, we’re making Sweet Potato & Ground Beef Skillet!
- 1 lb (16 oz. package) 93% lean ground beef
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 C brussels sprouts, leaves only
- 1/2 C shredded mozarella cheese
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 TBSP. olive oil
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp. paprika
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over low heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground beef. Cook until browned.
- Add garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add diced sweet potatoes and water. Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and add Brussels sprout leaves. Stir together and cook uncovered for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt. Remove skillet from heat and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes
Macros per serving: 235 calories | 11g fat | 15g carbs | 19g protein